Re: Can LVS control which IP address it using?

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can LVS control which IP address it using?
Cc: Linux Virtual Server <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:08:06 -0700
At 08:33 AM 4/28/00 -0400, Joseph Mack wrote:
>On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>
> > > Is there easy way to let the server in NAT mode
> > > to go out as the farm IP address?
> >
> > No. This is a limitation in the 2.2 masquerading code. It will always use
> > the
> > first address on the interface.
>
>Are you implying that this will change with 2.4?
>
>Packets coming from the RIP rather than the VIP is behind the identd
>problem with sendmail and tcpwrappers (for telnet, ftp). What if
>we put the VIP on (a non-arp'ing) eth0 on the realservers and put
>the RIP on (an arp'ing) eth1. This would add about $20 to the cost of
>each realserver, which isn't a big deal. Then we'd have to handle
>affinity between identd and sendmail etc.

Joe,

We tried and it works!  We put VIP on eth0, and RIP on eth0:1 in
NAT mode and it works fine.  Just need to figure out how to do it
during reboot, since this is done by playing with ifconfigure command.
Once we swap them around, the going out IP address is the VIP
address.  But if LVS box reboot, you just have to redo it again.

Wayne