Re: IPVS/DR ftp & client arp cache problem

To: Jytsai <880579@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPVS/DR ftp & client arp cache problem
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 06:59:13 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Jytsai wrote:

> Hello :
>
>     When I have completed the configuration of IPVS/DR
>     according to HOWTO, I found a problem when I attempt
>     to connect to VIP from some client which in the same
>     physical segment.
>     That is , What is the correct MAC address should appear
>     in this client's ARP cache when attempting to connect to VIP?
>     (By "arp -a" to check the client's ARP cache)
>
>     Is the MAC address should be the VIP's? or RIP's?

        VIP's

>     My testing result is , both of the 2 situations will happen
>     exclusively and uncertainly !

        How you solve the known ARP problem when using VS/DR
and VS/TUN methods?

>     That means, sometimes VIP's and sometimes RIP's MAC
>     address appears in client ARP cache. And, is it normally?

        No, it is dangerous but works :) You serve all clients
using only one real server :(

>     Further,no matter what MAC address appears in client's cache,
>     most TCP protocols runs very well. But when testing ftp, the
>     RIP's MAC address MUST be in client's ARP cache !
>     Otherwise, the port-20 ftp-data mode will be failed !

        No, it must work even when the clients talk to the
real server directly.

>     So, it is failed to use "ls" command to see anything.
>     By "netstat -n" command from real server, I found a connection
>     from the VIP:20 tries to SYN-SEND to  client. It seems like the
>     client can not reply correct MAC address to it.
>
>     May someone provide me solutions, thank you very much.

        Read http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/arp.html
        Is that information enough?

Regards

--