Re: Performance on LVS-NAT (pentium-class?)

To: Simon Oterski <soterski@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Performance on LVS-NAT (pentium-class?)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:30:38 -0400
Simon Oterski wrote:

> for now i use a pentium 200MHz computer as a LVS-NAT director, i have a
> 2 MBit connection, and i want to run about 30 different webpages (on two
> real servers). i want to add a 2. server, so one can act as the
> director, the other one as backup and monitoring server. the question
> is, do i need a more powerfull computer or is the 200MHz enough?

The limit in your setup is the 2Mbps connection. Your director must be able
to NAT at 2Mbps. I think almost any pentium ever made (60Mhz) could handle
that amount of NAT.

from the HOWTO:
The rewriting is slow (60usec/packet)
and limits the throughput of VS-NAT (for 536byte packets, this is
72Mbit/sec or about 100BaseT).

your connection to the outside world is about 50times slower.

Joseph Mack Ph.D, Senior Systems Engineer, Lockheed Martin