Re: Multiple cable modem setup..

To: ilan steemers <ilan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Multiple cable modem setup..
Cc: Linux virtual <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 08:44:59 -0400
ilan steemers wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are doing an experiment here with stacking 6 lancity cable modems.
> They each give a 1.5Mbit down and 1Mbit upstream, totaling approx 9Mbit
> down and 6Mbit up in a totaly perfect world.

if
1. each modem has a separate connection to the internet (ie you really can get
9Mbit)
and
2. you have 6 computers (1 director, 5 realservers)
with each machine having its default gw etc through its own modem
and
3. you are running VS/DR or VS/TUN

then

incoming packets will arrive at the director via its modem and leave
for the internet via the modems attached to each realserver

fi

However make sure your ISP doesn't rotate your IP's every week (or 24hrs). AFAIK
providers of cable modem services don't want servers sitting on their
networks.