Re: PMTU-D: remember, your load balancer is broken (fwd)

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PMTU-D: remember, your load balancer is broken (fwd)
Cc: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:26:10 +0800 (CST)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Julian Anastasov wrote:

>       Hello,
>
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Kyle Sparger wrote:
>
> > I figured this might be on-topic.  I don't think that LVS handles this
> > correctly, but I could be wrong.  Anybody know? :)  Is is it not even a
> > concern?  It seems like it would be to me...
>
>       Yes, it is not handled. ip_fw_unmasq_icmp is not changed
> from LVS. But the problem occurs when external_MTU > internal_MTU
> in the Director which is not an usual case for LVS. The other case
> when the client has little MTU is handled. The result is:
>
> - no problems for clients
> - the server works or don't works entirely. I think this
> could be visible. So, the problem is that the Director doesn't
> generate ICMP to the real servers. But the ICMP messages from
> clients are propagated to the real servers.

For external_MTU < internal_MTU, LVS can handle this, because the
ICMP_FRAG_NEEDED message from clients or intermediate routers can be
forwarded to the right real server.

For external_MTU > internal_MTU, VS/DR cannot handle it, because we don't
do MTU checking before calling ip_send(); VS/NAT and VS/TUN currently can
handle it. In VS/NAT, the mangled packet will go through ip_forward, which
has MTU checking. In VS/TUN, ip_vs_tunnel_xmit has MTU checking. Right?

BTW, I think it rarely happens. In VS/DR, the load balancer and real
servers are connected by an uninterrrupted physical network, such as
ethernet. The default MTU is 1500, which usually large than client MTU.

>       Of course, this must be corrected in next versions.

Sure!

Thanks,

Wensong