Re: LVS performance

To: Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard@xxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS performance
From: Drew Streib <ds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:43:58 -0700
On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 05:36:01PM +0200, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> [NH]  Does the LVS + RS network have to be switched (all of these connected
> by a switch device, the LVS is also connected via another 1000Mbps NIC to
> the external networks), or a simple 1000Mbps hub will do it ?

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a 1000Mbps hub. Do you mean
100Mbps?

And the short answer is... if performance is of any concern at all,
you'll need a switched network. Given the cost of a switch compared to
several real servers, it just makes sense. You can get a 6 port 100Mbps
switch now for US$100.

I can imagine that if the real servers were on a switched network, unless
the load balancing is very low network traffic/very high processor limited,
collisions would sink you.

-drew

--
-------