RE: using sysctl.conf to set hidden interfaces

To: "'Horms'" <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: using sysctl.conf to set hidden interfaces
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ryan Hulsker <rhulsker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:58:56 -0600

> Yes but it is executed once only, before the interfaces come up, so
> it is not able to set interfaces to be hidden, as the appropriate
> proc entries don't exist yet.

net.ipv4.conf.all.hidden = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.hidden = 1

     These seem to do it for me.  The default for any new interfaces coming up is to make them hidden, which means all your interfaces are always hidden including lo.  This is not ideal, but I have yet to see it cause a problem in my configuration.  Can anyone think of any reason why this is not a good idea?

        I also got around the other problem that I was having last week with trying to limit the number of real IPs that my system uses.  I think it was user error, I basically just rebuilt the whole damn thing over the weekend and it works now.  I now have it configured with 3 VIPS in a way that any real server can be in multiple VSs, and the real servers only use bogus IP addresses.  The only real IP addresses I am using are the VIPs themselvs.  All communication within the system, to the database server and to the cenral configuration machine happens on 192.168.x.x addresses.

        Im looking forward to seeing how this cluster performs during load testing, and under a real load.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what (-free-) software to use to do load testing.  So far Wget is looking pretty sweet, but I would like some way to pace it.  And when I run wget against the server from one client it seems to load down one server more than the others.  Do I need to do my testing from multiple clients?

Ryan Hulsker
Unix Systems Administrator
Service Intelligence.com