Re: Announcing Kimberlite

To: Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Announcing Kimberlite
Cc: "'Feldman, Jim'" <Jim.Feldman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Tim Burke <burke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:54:27 -0400
Nicolas Huillard wrote:

> Since I'm looking for products (not only principles, even thought they are
> very interesting and help evaluate products), can you point us to other
> good (in your opinion) "REAL shared disk" file systems ? (in production
> quality, on Linux preferably)
>
> Nicolas Huillard

I am not aware of any production ready Linux filesystems which allow
multiple systems to concurrently access the same physical device.  The
closest I can think of is GFS (Global Files System) which works best on
a FibreChannel SAN.   The GFS project is making excellent progress but
it isn't production ready.

In lieu of that the Linux failover model is to use filesystems attached
to shared storage and have cluster software coordinate when the
filesystems get mounted up by individual nodes.

With Kimberlite, the underlying filesystem type is independent.
Currently we have been using regular EXT2 and have begun experimenting
with the various log based filesystems.  Log based filesystems are a
perfect fit to clustering as it inherently provides the quickest
failover time.