Re: route on non-ip interface?

To: tc lewis <tcl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: route on non-ip interface?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:55:12 -0400
tc lewis wrote:

> is it possible to have a route specified on an interface that is not
> assigned an ip?  for example, on my lvs machines, i have traffic coming in
> to some public ip on interface eth1,

I need more information

the VIP is on eth1 (the 2nd NIC) on the director?

> but then want to forward it via
> direct routing to a real server on 192.168.100.0/24.  i was hoping to do
> this over eth2.

eth2 is the 3rd NIC on the director?

> this probably doesn't make any sense, as direct routing
> works on the link layer,

link layer between the director and the realserver, but the incoming packet to
the director can come in one NIC and go out another NIC. Look at
my performance tests for 1 and 2 NIC directors on

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/performance/single_realserver_performance.html

which describes their setup (the configure script will also set
this up for you).

> this would work if i put
> a 192.168.100.x ip on eth2, correct?  but without it, route add -net
> 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth2 just gives me an error about
> eth2 not existing or some such mess.

you do have 3 NICs in the director?

If the URL above isn't any help then:

what's the network for the RIPs (192.168.100.0/24?)
the network for the connection from the router (or client) to the director?
The VIP and the IP's on the 3 NICs on the director?