LVS not responding?!

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LVS not responding?!
From: "Jacob W Anderson" <janders6@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:54:23 -0700
Hi!

I just setup my 3 node network (1 lvs, 2 real servers), and have what seems
to be all of the networking componens working correctly: NAT to communicate
through the LVS to the real servers, and the real servers can see nodes on
the public network.

>From my mx on a cable modem, I can ftp and telnet into the LVS machine, but
when I try to connect to the LVS on port 80 via http, I always get
connection refused.

I do have web servers configured on the real servers, they were working just
great prior to the move to LVS (they do virtual hosting).  When I connect to
the web servers on the real server mx, it responds correctly.

Here's my network config:

lvs1.mydomain.com
eth0 216.74.128.10/24
eth1 10.75.1.1/24
eth1:0 10.75.1.254/24 (NAT router)

web1.mydomain.com
eth0 10.75.1.10/24

web2.mydomain.com
eth0 10.75.1.11/24

Here's the configuration file:

nat-router = 10.75.1.254 eth1:0
primary = 216.74.128.10
service = lvs
network = nat

virtual www.myserver.com {
address = 216.74.128.10 eth0
port = 80
active = 1
protocol = tcp
scheduler = wlc
load_monitor = ruptime
server web1.mydomain.com {
  address = 10.75.1.10
  active = 1
  weight = 100
}
server web2.mydomain.com {
   address = 10.75.1.11
   active = 1
   weight = 100
}
}

all servers are running rwhod and I can do an ruptime with good results.
The scheduler is wlc with each web server having a weight of 100.

Two things that I suspect are the web1/web2 not going on eth1:0, should they
bind to the router alias? and also the virtual server's IP -- should it have
one on its own?  I want to be able to host a plethora of virtual hosts on
the same IP and have the web server figure out the application routing.

I checked the messages log to see if IPCHAINS was denying the connection
from the LVS node to the real server, but no good ... all I see there are
messages from nanny and it's sending broadcast pings (lame, wish I could
shut off those messages).  Maybe that has to do with it?  I dunno, but my
firewall configuration doesn't want to allow the broadcast message on
10.75.1.255:513 from nanny.  Maybe the LVS doesn't think the system is
running?  But when I run the ipvsadm tool, I see the two real servers listed
as "Masq" under the LVS node.

Just to clarify, the message from nanny is "bad load average returned:
lvs1.mydomain.com" and the ipchains message is "REJECT eth0 PROTO=17
216.74.128.10:513 216.74.128.255:513 L=112 S=0x00 I=27039 F=0x0000 T=64
(#5)"

Any help that you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.  At this point, I
don't even know where else to go except install a web server in lieu of the
lvs and see if I can get that configured to work.

BTW.  I am running RedHat 6.2 with kernel  "2.2.14-12".  I dunno what my LVS
version is, tho ... it's whatever came with the RH 6.2 distribution (1.1-2
according to the ipvsadm RPM's name).

Thanks.

-- Jake

Jacob W Anderson
JAVATOPIA.COM
javadude@xxxxxxxxx
"Never try to be better than someone else, but never cease to try to be the
best you can be."  -- Coach John Wooden