Re: splitting up a packet stream

To: Chris Anderson <chris.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: splitting up a packet stream
Cc: LVS <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 07:58:58 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Chris Anderson wrote:

> > > Is it possible to split up a stream of packets from a single source so
> > > that they go to multiple real servers? No packet is (from this
> > > particular source) dependent on any other packet at this stage of
> > > processing, and it would be nice to not have to overload one poor
> > > realserver while the rest sit around waiting for it to die from shock.
> >
> > What does "independant" mean? If they are from the same connection, they
> > will go to the same realserver. Otherwise they will go to the different
> > realservers according to your scheduling (rr, lc etc)
>
> Without going into too much detail (NDAs and such), all the packets will
> appear to come from one source. The data in each packet is actually
> compressed data from multiple sources, and as such can be processed
> individually on separate machines without having to rely on a single
> machine getting all the packets from the one source.
>
> So, I guess the question is, how do I go about sending stuff to the
> realservers by splitiing it up at the packet level, rather than the
> connection level?

        Good question! This is possible to implement. But be more
specific:

- protocol (UDP)? LVS talks only TCP and UDP for now.
- why the restriction for only one source?
- what compression?
- RFC?
- more details and pictures

        I see this as a service (and so an entry) flag. Of course,
if there is a good reason for such flag without raising other
problems. Scheduling on each UDP packet without creating entries?
Or one for each source? Any application that requires such feature?

> Chris.
> --
> "This calls for a very special blend of psychology
>  and extreme violence." -- Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>