ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...

To: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 20:22:14 +0200
Hi Wensong,

I've been thinking about our talk at OLS on a possible
kernel-2-kernel masq table syncing (kmasqsd) design.

To recall:
We decided to implement a kernel daemon like
kflushd that would periodically send new connection
template entries from the master director to the
backup (blaster) over a dedicated heartbeat based
on UDP packets. This is a good basic concept, however,
I'suggest not to send the updates via UDP but rather
define a own easy protocoll and run it over the
parallel port, since this needs no IP-stack
processing and will also work if there is a stack
problem. And in case of a failover and a shutdown
of the interfaces, the daemon could still sync
without being interupted and so providing to
best syncing state. The amount of lost connections
would definitely very small, if not even zero.

Just a thought ...
Suggestions, flames :) ?

best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz