Re: Modify IPVS code

To: Thomas Proell <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Modify IPVS code
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 07:10:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Thomas Proell wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Up to now, IPVS accepts packets which are adressed to the VIP,
> for example 192.168.10.110. Packets with this destination were
> sent to the (real) servers that are attached to the Virtual Server.
>
> I want to change a few things here. The LVS shouldn't be a virtual
> server any more, but a director that distributes traffic between
> Proxy caches.
>
> For this, I have to change several things. First, the LVS has to
> accept packets, that are not for him, for example for cnn.com
> or for 192.168.10.111 or for 1.2.3.4.
> Then, it has to send them not to servers any more, but to
> transparent proxies.
>
> Now, I have a few questions to that:
>
> - Are there any other obvious problems? Is it that easy?
> - To make LVS accept packets that are not for him, there
>   are several possibilities:

I assume what you're trying to do is to put an LVS director in
front of several local squids. I don't think you have to make
any changes in the LVS code to do this.

You don't need to have the IP of interest (eg cnn.com) on the
director for it to accept packets for sending on to real-servers.
You can use transparent proxy on the director (see
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/performance/single_realserver_performance.html
for how to set this up and some performance measurements) and I expect
both the fwmark type of setup (by Horms) and policy routing (by Julian)
will do the same thing.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx