RE: FW: Multi-site LVS solution

To: Ed Wiseman <edw@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: FW: Multi-site LVS solution
Cc: "'Lvs-Users (E-mail)'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 07:37:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Ed Wiseman wrote:

> I currently have one site that has a mix of Windows NT and Solaris web
> servers (currently 4 in total) providing located in Toronto, Canada.  In the
> works is another site that will likely be located somewhere in the USA (for
> strategic business reasons??) and will likely have a similar mix of web
> servers.  The Toronto site and the US site will not be connected via the
> same ISP so I must assume the I will be dealing with separate subnets.  When
> the US site comes online, later this year, I would like to provide load
> balancing between the two geographically separated sites.

(just to make sure we're talking about the same thing)... You have a
director at one site (somewhere, lets say Toronto for discussion) and 8
(or so) web boxes, some of which are in the US and some of which are in
Canada.

Since real-servers are picked randomly, a client in the US would be
connecting to the director in Toronto and getting replies from machines in
Canada or US. Assuming your customers are well connected to the internet
(ie aren't coming in over slow or busy links), then the problem will be
how closely connected the two sites are to the internet backbone.

The only way to really know is to run tests. However since your access to
the internet depends more on the provider (reliability) and connection
speed, I don't expect you need expect more problems because your machines
are at 2 sites than 1.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx