Re: FW: Multi-site LVS solution

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FW: Multi-site LVS solution
From: Brian Edmonds <bedmonds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Aug 2000 15:47:41 -0700
"Ed Wiseman" <edw@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I currently have one site that has a mix of Windows NT and Solaris web
> servers (currently 4 in total) providing located in Toronto, Canada.
> In the works is another site that will likely be located somewhere in
> the USA (for strategic business reasons??) and will likely have a
> similar mix of web servers.  The Toronto site and the US site will not
> be connected via the same ISP so I must assume the I will be dealing
> with separate subnets.  When the US site comes online, later this
> year, I would like to provide load balancing between the two
> geographically separated sites.

Typically this is done via DNS hacks.  The simplest approach is BIND's
round robin DNS, whereby you simply assign the two (or more) different
IP addresses to the same name, and BIND will hand them out alternately.
The Eddiware project (www.eddieware.org) claims to have a DNS server
that does load balancing and HA between geographically disparate sites.
This sort of thing would be a nice extra software package to add to the
current set of LVS related services.

Brian.