Re: file-max/inode-max question

To: copeland@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: file-max/inode-max question
Cc: LVS List <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:08:03 -0400
"P.Copeland" wrote:

> There could be a leak.
> Could you tell me what version of the kit you are using?
> eg  0.4.16-7
> you'll get it from issuing
>     rpm -q piranha

piranha-0.4.16-3

> There are updates available for the Redhat kit. You'll find them
> on
>     ftp://people.redhat.com/kbarrett/HA
> for the current stable release

This is where I grabbed the files from two weeks ago or so.

> > cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
> > 16793   16555   262144
> >
> > lsof | wc -l
> > 394
> >

> Thats a lot of files

I thought so too.  At least it's not just me. :)

> I'm rebuilding the test rack I use in the lab, I'l;l leave something nasty
> running over it for the next few days to see if I can get a similar problem

I've got lots of good suggestions on how to break it if you need help.
:)

Seriously, I think the thing we might be doing that's different from
what most people are using this for is that we have about 50-60 aliased
VIPs on the outside that each map to a pair of servers inside, one
primary and one backup.  We're using it for failover on the internal
servers rather than real load balancing for a single external VIP
against many internal servers.  We also have a bunch of portfw rules set
up for 1:1 access from external aliases to internal addresses on the
primary and backup servers.

Thanks for looking into this.  I'll gladly lend a hand if you need help.

With Microsoft products, failure is not           Derek Glidden
an option - it's a standard component.      http://3dlinux.org/
Choose your life.  Choose your            http://www.tbcpc.org/
future.  Choose Linux.              http://www.illusionary.com/