NAT cluster....

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: NAT cluster....
From: Stephen Rowles <spr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 17:57:36 +0100
hi,

After trying to use Direct Routing on an ATM network I discovered that because of the ATM it is not possible to have duplicate MAC addresses for a single IP. The cluster will be a telnet / compute cluster which will load balance telnet, ftp, and SSH traffic.

To solve the problem I am proposing the following setup:

INTERNET

DIRECTOR eth0
DIRECTOR eth1

|===============

Node1 eth1
Node2 eth1
Node3 eth1

Node1 eth0
Node2 eth0
Node3 eth0

INTERNET

I am planning to use NAT LVS with the real servers sending all data back via the director to ensure only one MAC address for the cluster VIP.

However - for performance, and because the cluster is to be used for a compute cluster, I need external access to the individual machines via the internet, and the machines need a high speed link to the external network (for fileserver and database access) a director bottleneck is not acceptable.

So... Each Real-Server will have both access to a private network for cluster communications, and the public network for file-server / admin communications. BUT all traffic for the cluster VIP must travel via the director to ensure that there is only one machine communicating via the VIP.

I know this will probably create all sorts of routing problems but this is the only solution that I can think of.

Any suggestions / comments would be really welcome.

Cheers,
Steve.

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage
makes you a mechanic.