Re: setting up lvs with tunneling across networks.

To: jschoolc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: setting up lvs with tunneling across networks.
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:20:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 jschoolc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> However if I try to ssh VIP I just hang.  Doing an ipvsadm -L -n shows me
> that I
> have inactive connections on both private net servers and other net servers.

This is usually a network connectivity problem. A lot of things need to be
setup correctly to get LVS to work, routing (and default gw), which nets
are visible to who, and most will produce this result if wrong.

What is (usually) correct: The director has passed the connect request
packet to that real-server and the reply packet hasn't made it back to the
client. The reply may not have got out of the real-server or it may not
have been accepted by the client. I guess it's possible that the connect
request hasn't been accepted by the real-server, but I can't think of how
this would happen off the top of my head.

Suggestions:

1. check routing, ping all paths.

2. try VS-DR with the same machines and network cabling (if physically
possible)

3. setup with my script (on the docs page of the lvs web site), it checks
all paths and routing and will give error messages for all the error
conditions I found (it has failed with one user so far, so it's not
perfect)

4. run tcpdump on the real-server and client (and what the hell, the
director too) to see where and why the packets are getting stuck.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx