Re: LVS newbie needs help

To: mack.joseph@xxxxxxx (Joseph Mack)
Subject: Re: LVS newbie needs help
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:32:28 -0400 (EDT)
Many thanks to Joseph Mack.  He very graciously helped me out in
a big way.  I will try to return the favor in some way; if not to
him, to somebody else having trouble with LVS.  In particular,
I will offer Joseph some feedback on his excellent instructions
to possibly make it even smoother for the next person Joseph helps.

I am sure I will have more questions in the future, but at least
I now have a starting point that works.

Some notes:

I had a naive expectation for how to demonstrate load balancing.
I had expected that setting all cache sizes to zero in Netscape
and telling it not to cache would result in a simple demo of
static content that showed round robin scheduling among our
four web servers.  It didn't seem to work out that way.  We
ended up writing some CGI code, and that made the simple demo
work well.  We did get a clue that something was actually
working when we started up a couple of shell scripts on some
clients to hammer port 80 while we did a "tcpdump port 80"
on all the web servers - all of them were getting significant
traffic.  A simple strategy of zeroing out the httpd logs
and then watching their size shows that the load was pretty
evenly balanced as well.

It would be nice if the Piranha web pages included a direct
routing example in the howto, in addition to the NAT example.
I didn't get Piranha to work, which is disappointing.  In the
business world, it is nice to have a GUI, and even nicer to have
somebody you can pay for support of the product.  It would cost
my customers a lot more than $2,000 to get me to support it
for a year.

--
John Cronin