Re: any known bugs in nanny?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: any known bugs in nanny?
From: Erik Elmshauser <erike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:40:14 -0500 (CDT)
I am writing in with more details with the problem i reported this
morning.  I have stripped down the LVS cluster to only balancing http to 3
servers.  there are 3 nannys running when I start pulse.  each of these
nannys is opening a pipe every time it polls the real servers to verify
they are up.  they seem to close the pipes when we watch with strace, but
the pipes are really staying open and eventually bring down the
cluster.  after LVS crashes I am able to restart it, and after a few hours
it will crash again.

I have also noaticed that when i use "/etc/rc.d/init.d/pulse" to restart
pulse the nanny's keep running and it fails to restart.  this also takes
down both eth0 and eth1, forcing me to drive out to the servers and bring
the interface back up.  I am using at to bring the interfaces up when i
stop pulse, then i have to go and kill all the nannys before pulse can
restart.  are these things related?  did I forget to compile something
into the kernel?
        --Erik

          Rev. Erik C Elmshauser D.D.           #
     Minister of the Universal Life Church      #
 email: erike@xxxxxxxx  |  IRC: erike on EFnet  #
"Driven by Passion, Stomped by Screaming Girls, Master of None"