Re: Newbie Problems with NAT RH 6.2 & UM 1.0.1 (Kernel 2.2.14-5.0.14.um.

To: Shaun McCullagh <smccullagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Newbie Problems with NAT RH 6.2 & UM 1.0.1 (Kernel 2.2.14-5.0.14.um.3)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:30:39 -0400
On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 03:58:28PM +0200, Shaun McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First off, many thanks to all those who responded to my plea for help
> with Piranha. Ultra Monkey looks much more interesting, so I thought I
> give that a go.
>
> I'm now trying an LVS/DR config with one LVS Router and three Real
> Servers.
>
> Heartbeat and ldirectord start up fine. All three Real Servers respond to
> test page requests from ldirectord.
>
> The problem is LVS does not appear to forward the requests to the real
> servers.
>
> Tcpdump shows some data is exchanged between the browser and vs1, but
> nothing else happens.

A few things to check.

  1. Make sure IP forwarding is enabled on your Linux Director "lvsmain".

     cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
     1

  2. Make sure that the loopback interfaces on the Real Servers are
     hidden.

     cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden
     1
     cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/hidden
     1

     With reference to this please see the Ultra Monkey Errata
     http://ultramonkey.sourceforge.net/errata.html

  3. As you are using LVS-DR (as specified by gate in your ldirectord.cf)
     make sure that the default gateway for the real servers is
     _not_ the Linux Director.

  4. You should be aware that as the Client is on the same
     ethernet network as the Real Servers and the Linux Director
     the Linux Director will send an ICMP redirect to the client,
     effectivley telling it to bypass the Linux Director.
     This is a good thing, but probably isn't really what you
     want for testing. For a better test, ether locate the
     client on a different network, or tell the client not
     to accept redirects and the Linux Director not to send them.

     #On the client
     echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/accept_redirects

     # On the Linux Director
     echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/send_redirects#

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Shaun

I've reformated the diagram a little. It was a bit broken
by the time it got to me. Ok, so I just wanted to see
the VA 2130 better :)

--
Horms