Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching

To: Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:19:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Joe Cooper wrote:

> An API for detecting load within the real server and reporting it to the
> director is a good idea.  The only problem is that it isn't quite as
> simple a solution as it sounds.
>
> In the case of Squid (our current topic for discussion), it's very
> difficult to ascertain what the load is like.  Yes, you can monitor the
> CPU usage, but a cache can be running at 0% idle and still effectively
> serve requests, as long as the disks are keeping up.  In fact, most of
> our boxes run with only about 5-10% idle CPU _all_ the time, even when
> not under very heavy load.  It is a quirk of the current async i/o
> implementation.  All the disk threads eat a lot of CPU even when not
> being pushed hard.

Can't Squid determine its own load?  The application program is the only
one that can determin it's actual load. If we develope a clean API it can
be incorporated into the most popular applications (apache module anyone?)

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com