Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching

To: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching
Cc: Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:18:44 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:

> Can't Squid determine its own load?  The application program is the only
> one that can determin it's actual load. If we develope a clean API it can
> be incorporated into the most popular applications (apache module anyone?)

        No, we don't need to touch the applications. This is more
difficult to implement. IMO, the load monitoring software must not
depend on each application. The kernel is the best source for the
information, of course the different OS-es provide different information,
others are not very helpful. But most of the key load parameters are
available.

> -Matt

Regards

--