Source IP address

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Source IP address
From: Nathan Polonski <Nathan.Polonski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:39:47 -0500
I'm currently using a Piranha based LVS system. NAT configuration, kernel
2.2.17 with patches. VS patch 1.0.0.

The main use of the system is ftp. The system is to be behind a firewall and
I have run into an interesting problem.
In my testing I have found that the source IP address of some of the "load
balanced" data does not come from the VIP, but from the IP address of one of
the directors.

If I open up an FTP connection to my cluster, all of the packets are sent to
and come from the VIP. Data looks good. However, when I try to run an "ls"
or "dir" command against the FTP server, I get a "Cannot build Data
Connection" error.
My packet sniffing has shown me that all of the data going to and from the
cluster is addressed to the VIP.
This holds true, up until the directory listing request.
When I run either command, packets come from the IP address of the active
LVS director.

Is this supposed to happen? Does anyone know why it happens.
I'm sure there is a plausible explanation.

--Nathan