Re: test drive

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: test drive
From: "Putchong Uthayopas" <pu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:18:07 +0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "ratz" <ratz@xxxxxx>
To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 2:06 PM

> > Putchong Uthayopas wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > We are going to released a suite of software that monitor a cluster farm
> > through web.
> > Please look at
> >
> > http://amata.cpe.ku.ac.th/~b38sop/kcap/
>
> Just had a quick look at it. Look interesting.
>
> > We need people to help us with.
> > 1. Beta testing it.
>
> I'm not so sure if people here have time to do this, maybe you should
> announce it at comp.os.linux.announce.
>
> > 2. shaping up the document.
>
> The same.
>
> > 3. Correct english language in the menu :-)
> >
> > If you would loike to help please contact us at prg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I would just be interested how you think that you're able to monitor
> realtime? I don't believe that status monitoring can be realtime. And the
> second question is: How do you monitor context switches?

It depends on how you define the term realtime. Theoritically, if you need
to send
any message, you are limited by the speed of light. So, in the strict sense,
nothing in the world is realtime even the thing you see before your eye
since light must travel for a few microsecond before it reach you.
Therefore, in most case, people usually define it as "fast enough to be
useful", or " fast enough to handle the situation". In our case, we just
collect the system statistics from /proc and deliver them  to you every few
seconds. So, we think it will be useful to know that some people running
something and load your CPU for a while. In this sense, I beleive that
realtime monitoring is possible according to the definition of
"Fast enough to be useful".

For context switch, we read it from /proc and trust the kernel guy to
provides it properly. :-)

Putchong