Re: Redirecting on URL rules ...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Redirecting on URL rules ...
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:41:28 -0500
On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 02:13:54PM -0000, Frédéric Schwien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a load balancer which should accept redirecting rules on URLs . For
> example, Those with "/cgi-bin" to a group of servers, others (for static
> data) to another group of servers . Is this planed to be done ? Do somebody
> ever tried to do it ? (I have never put my nose into LVSs softs code, but
> would it be difficult to add this feature?)

What you are after is a layer-7 switch, that is something that can
inspect HTTP packets and make decisions bassed on that information.
You can use squid to do this, there are other options. A post was made
to this list about doing this a while back. Try hunting through the
archives.

LVS on the other hand is a layer-4 switch, the only information that it has
available to it is IP address and port and protocol (TCP/IP or UDP/IP). It
cannot inspect the data segment and see even understand that the request is
an HTTP request, let alone that the URL requested is /cgi-bin or whatever.

There has been talk of doing this, but to be honest it is a different
problem to that which LVS solves and arguably should live in user space
rather than kernel space as a _lot_ more proccessing is required.

--
Horms