Re: ipvs-0.2.0-2.4.0 available

To: Florin Andrei <elf_too@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ipvs-0.2.0-2.4.0 available
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:50:11 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Florin Andrei wrote:

> --- Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > later for kernel 2.4 ready for production. New stuff will go to version
> > 0.2.x.
>
>       Now, is 0.1.2 REALLY ready for production? Can you bet your life on it?
> (because i will bet my career if i'll use it instead of the 2.2 version)

        Wow, I don't know many people in production with kernel 2.4 :)
We don't know for bugs in LVS for 2.4 but may be you need an opinion
from other happy people in production. You can notice one difference
between LVS for 2.2 and 2.4: the NAT setup is tricky to build if you
rely on netfilter's new connection tracking using iptables. The LVS/DR
and LVS/TUN methods and the other functionalities are working in the same
way. The other difference is that in 2.4 LVS can serve FTP without any
help from other modules, even for LVS/NAT. In 2.2 you need ip_masq_ftp.

        The users with more CPUs and NICs can build now more powerful
boxes, thanks to the new 2.4 networking.

        But don't ignore your tests. It is always risky to jump to
something new. Someone can be happy but may be the new LVS can't work
for your setup. It is up to you to make your transition plan safe :)
For me, the 2.2 kernel is good enough for LVS box and I don't need to
change it to 2.4. I prefer to burn some real servers than to kill
my lovely LVS box :)

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>