persistence and web servers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: persistence and web servers
From: Jeffrey A Schoolcraft <dream@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:24:50 -0500
Currently we have 3 webservers behind a DR lvs set up (2.2.18).  Our scheme is
wlc and we have no persistence and use ldirectord.

When we take a server out of the rotation (by removing the index1.html file
ldirectord is looking for) I think all the connections to that machine are
dropped instead of being shuffled among the remaining 2 servers, is this the
case?  I say this because our bandwidth suddenly drops to zero at this point.
I have started to use the weight and bring the weight to 1 then 0 (the
others are at 100) which seems to move the connections nicely.

My other question is this: will persistence help performance in a web cluster?
I know for ftp it's needed (or at least suggested in the docs) but I'm
wondering what gains if any we would get in a webserver environment.  These
webservers are basically just file servers, html just images and videos.
Average file size is about 3MB.

Any ideas with the persistence question would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff