LVS and Notes

To: piranha-list@xxxxxxxxxx, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS and Notes
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:14:50 -0500
Has anyone reported or seen any problems with Lotus Notes and LVS in
general or RedHat's Piranha stuff in particular?  We're doing LVS-NAT on
the LVS boxes.

We have a client with lots of NT-based Notes machines that we're trying
to locate behind LVS boxes.  (The servers do things other than Notes, so
simply using Notes own replication/failover stuff isn't enough.)
They're saying that a given machine "works fine" before it's located
behind the LVS setup and "doesn't work right" or "is really slow" after
being relocated behind the LVS setup.  If we take the box from behind
the LVS and set it back up the way it was, it "works fine" again.

But ... from what's been reported to me, any other services running on
that box work just fine after being placed on the LVS'ed network. It
really sounds like it's just a Notes configuration issue to me.  But
since we're not Notes experts and our clients are, and they say they've
properly reconfigured the boxes once they're behind the LVS and I don't
know what to look for to check, I can't say for sure.

As best I can tell from what they've (not very coherently) reported,
client machines trying to contact a Notes server behind the LVS will
make a connection and log in (maybe) but be unable to actually open any
database for periods of time.  After 15 or 20 minutes of
inaccessibility, the clients can work just fine for another 15 or 20
minutes, after which they are again unable to connect.  Or any
connections to the Notes server are simply very very slow at
accomplishing anything as if they were communicating over a slow dialup
connection.

We're not really doing "load balancing" but "failover" with the LVS
boxes. We've weighted a "primary" box very heavily and a "backup" box
very low, so that the connections all go to the primary unless it goes
down, in which case the backup takes over.  And neither the LVS nor the
Notes servers themselves are very heavily loaded at all, only a few
simultaneous connections at any given time.

And yes, we're redirecting Notes port 1352.  (Or at least, we've been
told that is the proper and only needed port for Notes to work
correctly.)

With Microsoft products, failure is not           Derek Glidden
an option - it's a standard component.      http://3dlinux.org/
Choose your life.  Choose your            http://www.tbcpc.org/
future.  Choose Linux.              http://www.illusionary.com/