Re: performance NAT versus DR ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: performance NAT versus DR ?
From: Alois Treindl <alois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:17:37 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> When I compared DR (using Julian's martian patch, which allowed the director
> to be the default gw for the real-servers) and NAT, at the same packet
> throughput, the load average was 5 on the NAT director and the keyboard
> and mouse weren't responding anymore, while the DR director had low load
> average (<0.1 I think) and the mouse and keyboard responded just fine. I
> assume
> the rewriting of packets in NAT is the main load on the director. The same
> CPU can push the VS-DR packets through without any apparent effort.

Do I understand this correct?

The director was in both cases in a two-NIC configuration, so it
would also have to pass the return packets from the internal NIC to
the external NIC, even in DR mode?

I am surprised that there should be a big laod difference, whether those
packets are re-written or just passed.

Also, if I use the director as a firewall with ipchains and packet
filters, will it not anyway have to inspect each outgoing packet header,
independent whether it runs a NAT or DR configuration? Is there a reason
why I should see much difference in load levels then?