Re: performance NAT versus DR ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: performance NAT versus DR ?
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:48:41 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> The assumption that is wrong is that small packets take a shorter time
> to transmit, than do packets of MTU size.
[snip]
> The consequence of this is that the zero bandwidth ACKs from the
> client are taking up as much  ethernet capacity as does the 100Mbps
> of packets being sent from the real-server.

The benefeit is far rarer than I anticipated.  Most interesting.  Thanks
for educating me :)

The 100MBit ethernet MTU is fixed at 1500, but what if the back-end
servers MTU is higher on layer three?  Or if there is little or no ACK
traffic -- say you're using UDP, for example?

But, I will admit that the benefeit is in the rare case, certainly not the
common case.  It would take some engineering or a feat of circumstance to
cause it to occur :)

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger - Senior System Administrator
Dialtone Internet - Extremely Fast Web Systems
(954) 581-0097 x 122 - Voice (954) 581-7629 - Fax
ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.dialtoneinternet.net
"Forget college, I'm going pro."