Re: performance NAT versus DR ?

To: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: performance NAT versus DR ?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:17:42 -0500 (EST)
>       Someone must put back the real server when it is alive. This
> sounds like a user space job.

Absolutely.

> The traffic will not start until we send requests. We have to send L4
> probes to the real server (from the user space) or to probe it with
> requests (LVS from kernel space)?

How about selecting a new server for the connection, and signalling (not
necessarily via signals, mind you...) to a user-space program that the
target should immediately be checked for availability?  Then the userspace
program can set up checks to be run, and re-add it later when it becomes
available again -- assuming it really is unavailable.

If the server _is_ available, and acting normally, it should respond in
the first place, though, right? :)

This method might be more efficient than the existing scheduled poll
method, but I'm sure it also has hidden traps.

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger - Senior System Administrator
Dialtone Internet - Extremely Fast Web Systems
(954) 581-0097 x 122 - Voice (954) 581-7629 - Fax
ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.dialtoneinternet.net
"Forget college, I'm going pro."