ftp active - passive problems

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ftp active - passive problems
From: Jeremy Kusnetz <JKusnetz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:31:36 -0500
I am having problems with my ftp server with lvs-nat.

It seems when connecting to them (I THINK) they are starting up in active
mode, instead of passive mode.

Here are the symptoms, I can connect to the server just fine from home, do
listings, uploads and downloads in
both whatever mode they start up in AND when I explicitly set them to
passive mode.  Every thing works great.

But from work, behind our firewall, it seems like the firewall is blocking
the data connection, until I set it to passive
mode, then I can do listings and up-loads and downloads fine.

From what I understand ftpserver are supposed to start in passive mode.

I've tried this with two different servers (wu, and muddle) and I get the
same problem with both of them.

I've also made sure it wasn't just the firewall blocking large port numbers
by running the ftp servers right on the
director box, and everything works correctly from there (ie, I don't have to
explicitly set to passive mode to do
listings and up and down loads)

Is there something the ftpd servers aren't receiving from the client?

Here is my setup:
ipvsadm -A -t 216.xxx.xxx.xxx:ftp -s lc -p 540
ipvsadm -a -t 216.xxx.xxx.xxx:ftp -r 10.xxx.xxx.1 -m
ipvsadm -a -t 216.xxx.xxx.xxx:ftp -r 10.xxx.xxx.2 -m