Re: non-swapping director

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: non-swapping director
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 22:48:55 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> Joseph Mack wrote:
>
>  With sufficient number of connections, a director could
>  start to swap out its tables (is this true?)

        IMO, this is not true. LVS uses GFP_ATOMIC kind of allocations
and as I know such allocations can't be swapped out.

>  In this case, throughput could slow to a crawl. I presume
>  the kernel would have to retrieve parts of the table to find
>  the real-server associated with incoming packets. I would
>  think in this case it would be better to drop connect
>  requests than to accept them.
>
>  In earlier verions of LVS, you could set the amount of
>  memory for the tables (in bytes). Now you allocate a number
>  of hashes, whose size could (in the worst case) grow without limit.
>
>  If I have 128M RAM == 1M connections, am I going to
>  run out of ports first?

        No, we will run out of memory first :) We will not reach
out of ports :) If we run web cluster for example, we use only one
port, 80.

>  What would have to happen for LVS to start swapping?
>  (ie how much of a problem is this?)
>
>  If it's possible for LVS to start the director to swap,
>  is there some way to stop this?

        You can try with testlvs whether the LVS uses swap. It is easy,
just start the kernel with LILO option mem=8M and with large swap area.
Then we must check whether more than 8MB swap will be used.

>  Joe

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>