Re: can LVS be run ON the firewall box?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: can LVS be run ON the firewall box?
From: Brian Edmonds <bedmonds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:03:27 -0800 (PST)
Bart Locanthi <bart@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>> [1] On a somewhat larger scale.  We have two LVS/NAT routers, on
>> separate physical switches from our provider, both with two internal
>> interfaces[2], and all real servers have two interfaces.
> are you running HA on this (two external interfaces each?) or simply
> relying on the extra paths?

That was two *internal* interfaces.  The two routers obviously have
different IP addresses externally.  We're running heartbeat for the
virtual IP addresses so that they will move between the routers as
required, as well as for the internal default router addresses so that
internal machines can always get out as well.

The internal servers are running a little script which monitors the
reachability of the default router, and if it fails switches over to the
other interface.  I'll attach it on the end, as it's pretty simple.

Brian.

   ----- snip -----
#!/bin/bash

PATH=/sbin:$PATH

if route -n | egrep -q '^0\.0\.0\.0'; then
        date
        echo 'Default route exists, aborting.'
        echo
        exit 1
fi

date
subnet=1
echo "Setting default route to 10.2.${subnet}.254."
route add default gw 10.2.${subnet}.254
failures=0
echo

while true; do
        sleep 5
        if ping -c 1 -w 2 10.2.${subnet}.254 >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                failures=0
        else
                failures=`expr $failures + 1`
        fi
        if [ $failures -lt 3 ]; then continue; fi

        date
        echo "Default route failure detected."
        route del default gw 10.2.${subnet}.254
        subnet=`expr $subnet + 1`
        if [ $subnet -gt 2 ]; then subnet=1; fi
        echo "Setting default route to 10.2.${subnet}.254."
        route add default gw 10.2.${subnet}.254
        failures=0
        echo
done