Re: problem/feature query in ip_vs

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: problem/feature query in ip_vs
From: "John P . Looney" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:53:43 +0000
On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:48:18AM +0200, Julian Anastasov mentioned:
> >  However, if a service goes down, and incoming new connections for a few
> > seconds get a "connection refused", until mon can change the ip_vs tables
> > with ipvsadm.
>       Hm, what kind of service likes very much to die? May be you
> stop the service without excluding it from the cluster (or setting the
> weight to 0)? You are talking for buggy services or for bad cluster
> software?

 Buggy services, or buggy hardware.

 If I have two mail servers, and one machine crashes. "mon" will notice
after 2 or 3 seconds. It will run ipvsadm and take it out of the cluster.

 But, until "mon" does this, anyone trying to connect will fail....

> >  Is there a reason that no one has put some login in the kernel to "try
> > open the connection, if it's there, then let it through, otherwise go onto
> > the next one", like Cisco Local Directors do ?
>       That sounds like a kernel space proxy server. Such setup
> works for NAT mode only?

 Maybe. But is it for ipvs to do this, or should it be done by something
else ? Is there a reason why ipvs can't/shouldn't do it ? (I was thinking
of trying to do it myself, and wondered about the best way of starting..)

John

--
 When I say 'free', I mean 'free': free from bond, of chain or command:
to go where you will, even to Mordor, Saruman, if you desire. "