Re: MySQL Server

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MySQL Server
From: "Ted Pavlic" <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:35:52 -0500
While I've been scared to try MySQL using Linux NFS because of the poor
locking facilities, I have been successful with the new replication. In
light of this, I'm not completely sure that it's best to use LVS.

A better solution (in my opinion) would be to have one server replicating to
the other. One one server dies, have a failover solution switch over to the
other server. This could be done with human interaction by changing a DNS
entry or perhaps changing an address in a library. This also would be
possible by using MON or FOS or any number of other solutions.

That way you aren't changing the database in two places... I just think
that's safer.

Now if you're trying to load balance the MySQL load then of course you're
going to need to access it in several places.

Oh well... maybe I'm being too cautious.

All the best --
Ted