RE: handoff protocol

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: handoff protocol
From: Steve Gonczi <Steve.Gonczi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:42:43 -0400
Hi Carl,

I am not aware of any "open standard" way of transferring established
connections from one host to another. Arguably, this would be useful.

One method has been implemented and published by Mohit Aron & friends.
The best description has appeared in:
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~vivek/ASPLOS-98/

Another (different and patented) method has been published by Resonate, inc.
You can get this via the (used to be) IBM patent server.
http://www.delphion.com/

I recall a group from MIT published a "private" IETF draft which I can not
find
at the moment.

In order to hand over an established TCp connection, both the source and the
target
of such hand-off has to be modified. (The current, "standard" TCP protocol
has no such capability).
Given the above, there are many ways to do this.
In the simplest scenario, there are 3 hosts involved:
A,C, and D.

A is sending tcp packets to C, and C decides to transfer the
connection to D. In this scenario, all 3 need to be aware of
the hand-off. (D needs to be told to fake up a connection,
and start accepting packets from A, and A needs to be told to
start sending the packets to D instead of C).

In a more real-life scenario, there are minimum 4 hosts involved.
A,B,C, and D.
A is a client, blissfully unaware of any handoff.
B is a load balancer/relay that forwards and re-routes packets as needed.
C and D are the actual hosts that negotiate the handoff.

/sG