Re: help (web clustering/bandwidth limiting on a particular group of URL

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: help (web clustering/bandwidth limiting on a particular group of URLS)
Cc: Lynn Winebarger <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:45:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Lynn Winebarger wrote:

> Within the last few months our T1
> became saturated
.
.
> However, we're also suffering
> from some performance problems
.
.
>     I already have a couple of Pentium machines (200 MHz pent, 64MB ram,
> <5GB disk) for use as LVS routers.  Also, all the machines involved have 2
> NICS, but we have 3 networks involved --- like this:

(multi-tier server in ascii art)

.
.
>   The external network is on a T1, but internally they're 100Mbps (we
.
.
 First I'm having a hard time imagining a setup which is 100Mbps, which is
both performance (ie CPU) limited and bandwidth limited for a T1 line. A
T1 can be saturated by a single low end machine and you are contemplating
putting several 100Mbps machines onto this line.

>   I have an idea for approaching this, but am not sure if it's right
                                   ^^^^
I don't know what "this" is (see comment above).

> (haven't used LVS or clustering generally before), or possible.
>    First, use LVS1 as the incoming router (with LVS2 set up for failover).
> Set up LVS2 as outgoing router (with LVS1 set up for failover).  Set up
> a bandwidth limited interface for traffic coming in over internal network
> for LVS2, as well as a non-bandwidth-limited interface for the same
> network.

If "this" is throttling bandwidth, I remember discussing this with Horms.
I'll go look it up tomorrow. What gets throttled, by user IP, by URL
fetched?

>    Keep in mind, we're a non-profit organization, so we can't buy a
> machine to handle a full-blown squid server (which was my other thought),

but that would only increase throughput, which is the opposite of what you
want?

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx