Re: lvs and PCC

To: Juri Haberland <juri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lvs and PCC
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:35:37 -0400
Juri Haberland wrote:

> Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "William Emmanuel S. Yu" wrote:
> >
> >> i would like to
> >> know if i could use LVS for lets say a webmail server such as IMP or
> >> squirrelmail with LVS w/ PCC or can it work with LVS alone.
> >
> > don't know anything about these applications but LVS has been used
> > to load balance mailservers since the early days.
>
> Hi Joseph,
>
> out of curiosity, how do handle the different mail spools on the real servers?

as you've seen, this is the big problem. I talk about it a bit in the HOWTO
in the section on smtp as a service. LVS is fine in the many reader/single
writer setup (to the real-servers), but multiple writes have to be sent
serially to all real-servers, with some method of detecting failures

I haven't setup or tested a mail server myself. Ted Pavlic has an LVS'ed
mail server running, so it's possible. He's busy and I haven't been able
to induce him to write up his setup for the HOWTO. He says the secret is
to have to have your locking working properly. I assume this means nfs
version 3.

> If using NFS - what about locking issues? Or are these mail servers just
> relaying? Any other techniques?

For relaying you don't have any problems.
If you could setup so that the LVS smtp services are only relaying and there
was only one machine for each MX record, then you wouldn't have any problems
either. Clearly this is not possible for a setup like aol.com