Re: Transparent Proxy for solving the ARP problem.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Transparent Proxy for solving the ARP problem.
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:41:58 -0400
"Bickel, Sean" wrote:

> I am working on a new and my first LVS setup. Every machine I am working
> with is using the linux kernel 2.2.18 and the only service I am interested
> in is http. I am considering using the ipchains redirect for an LVS-DR
> setup. I was looking for a kind of pros and cons comparison of that and
> just hiding the appropriate network devices from arp lookups. Any help would
> be appreciated.

All methods work, they all give about the same performance,
they're all about equally difficult/easy to setup.
It's pick your favorite poison I'm afraid.

Since in the long term kernel 2.2 will be going away (sooner
than 2.4 will anyhow) you might want to save yourself the
agony of upgrading a production setup later by going to iptables/2.4
right now.