Re: no response from director for www service with ip-tun

To: Linux Virtual Server <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: no response from director for www service with ip-tun
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:34:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Paul Baker wrote:

> Doesn't seem to be that much different between the VS-Tun and VS-DR
> output to me.

agree

> > Is there any other device with the VIP on the real-server?
>
> Nope.

a long shot

> configure script, and with that method it never even made it to get the
> real-servers listed with ipvsadm. unfortuneately the configure script
> seems to be very redhat-oriented.

I do all my development and testing on a slackware machine. I don't have
any idea of how RedHat does their stuff.

Setting up an LVS is difficult. If it doesn't work you can spend forever
trying to figure out what's wrong. I've incorporated all my mistakes into
checks in the configure script. WOuld you mind trying this conf file on
your setup? I assume you only have 1 NIC on the director - if you have 2
NICs just make sure the VIP is assigned the correct NIC (here eth0).

You will have to put the director-inside IP onto an alias somewhere on
the director (the script looks for this IP to tell if it's running on
a director or real-server).

I have all my IPs in /etc/hosts. For this example you can replace the
strings "sneezy","bashfull","lvs","director-inside" with the IP's.

I think I translated your IPs/network into this file. Please have
a look to see if its OK. I didn't have the IP for your 2nd real-server.

#----------------------------------
#lvs_tun.conf
#(C) 2000-2001 Joseph Mack jmack@xxxxxxxx
#format released under GPL.
#
#One network, one NIC director.
#network 63.216.62.160/27
#------------------------------------------------------------
#
#IPs in /etc/hosts
#
#VIPs
#lvs=63.216.62.170
#
#DIIP
#director-inside=63.216.62.171
#
#default gw
#router=63.216.62.161
#
#real-servers
#sneezy=63.216.62.179
#bashfull=63.216.62.?
#
#----------lvs_tun.conf------------------------------------
LVSCONF_FORMAT=1.0
LVS_TYPE=VS_TUN
INITIAL_STATE=on
CLEAR_IPVS_TABLES=Y
VIP=eth0:170 lvs 255.255.255.255 lvs
DIRECTOR_INSIDEIP=eth0 director-inside 63.216.62.160 255.255.255.224
63.216.62.191
#no director default gw for VS-Tun
#DIRECTOR_GW=
SERVICE=t telnet rr sneezy bashfull
SERVER_VIP_DEVICE=tunl0:170
SERVER_NET_DEVICE=eth0
SERVER_GW=router

this sets up telnet.

you make an rc.lvs_tun file by doing

./configure-lvs.pl lvs_tun.conf

you run the rc.lvs file on the director, and then the real-servers.

If you get any error messages that you can't correct, send the output
of the rc.lvs file to me and I'll see what I can do.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx