Re: configure.pl

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: configure.pl
Cc: Henning Schiel <h.schiel@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 08:23:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Henning Schiel wrote:

> Problem: Mon is running (and working), it calls "virtualserver.alert"
> which correctly and rapidly tells me: "virtual server down" or "..up",
> but it doesn't tell me which realserver (and port) is down or up and
> in consequence doesn't remove the server or service from the virtual
> service.  When I call ipvsadm with switches mentioned in
> "virtualserver.alert" by hand (shell), it works and up's / down's the
> services. "Virtualserver.alert" also recognizes the "-u"-switch
> (saying up or down), but doesn't get the $virtual_service or $remote.
>
> Is this a problem with the configure.pl

possibly ;-)

> - script or do I have to edit
> the mon.cf by hand?

no, the configure script is supposed to handle this for you.

I don't have time to handle this today.

We're probably going to have to debug this off-line. Can you get the
problem to its simplest, ie with an LVS with say 2 real-servers, running
only telnet. Make sure mond is running (and doesn't die during your tests)
and disconnect the network link to one of the real-servers. Do tail -f on
both /var/adm/messages and syslog (one of them gives a small amount of
info about what mon is doing and the other gives the command line that
virtualserver.alert executes - I forget which is which, and where they
wind up will depend on your syslogd.conf anyhow). Plug/unplug the
real-server a few times. You should see a command like -A real-serverIP
when the service comes up and -d real-serverIP in the logfile when the
service goes down. The service is brought up quickly (several secs) but
takes about 30secs to be removed.

If it's not working, send me your lvs_xx.conf and mon.cf file, some sample
output from messages||syslog and we'll start from there.

send this to mack@xxxxxxxxxxx and mack.joseph@xxxxxxx

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx