hearbeat documentation

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: hearbeat documentation
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:06:17 -0700
Hi gang,

I'm putting along on my own setup.  (LVS-DR (ultramonkey) + HA (heartbeat).
Matter of fact, just got ha working!  I thought I'd point out some
'documentation enhancements' for the next guy that tries to do what I just
did...

- clean up haresources example file a bit.  I think the examples therein
aren't at all clear!  The example config show things like
"#just.linux-ha.org     135.9.216.110 http" when something like
"primary.director.box.goes.here shared.resources.address.here http" would be
much clearer.  Or even put them both down.

- perhaps this is 'HA' material (as I've seen mentioned in the
list-archives), but there isn't a HOWTO for HA with LVS.  Some kind of silly
example of 'essential points to get it working' would be great.  (I imagine
that most people running LVS will run heartbeat)...

- going along with the 'HA' documentation, it would be nice to know that you
should delete alias IP addresses (eth0:0 for example) on both machines once
you're ready to go HA.  I got a 'uh oh, shared mac address for VIP' error..
(in my case it was easy to diagnose since I'd already scoured the newsgroups
for 5 hours for other problems beforehand..)

those are all my gripes.  you guys kick ass, thanks for dedicating your time
to this project.  we appreciate it!

cheers,

Peter