Re: how to tell ip_vs version when don't have ipvsadm

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: how to tell ip_vs version when don't have ipvsadm
Cc: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>, Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:06:23 -0700
On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 01:49:16PM -0400, Joseph Mack wrote:
> Julian Anastasov wrote:
>
> > K="`uname -r | sed -n "s/^\(2\.2\).*/\1/p"`"
> > if [ "$K" != "2.2" ]
> > then
> >         ln -sf ipvsadm.2.4 /sbin/ipvsadm
> > else
> >         ln -sf ipvsadm.2.2 /sbin/ipvsadm
> > fi
> >
> >         May be there are many "right" methods :)
>
> well OK, but I want make sure that I have the ipvsadm
> version for each ip_vs. Sometimes you have 2 ip_vs releases
> for a kernel version. I don't keep track of ipvsadm
> versions but presumably they change version numbers
> equally often.
>
> So I don't need to know the kernel version. I need
> the ip_vs version.
>
> It would be nice if I'm running 0.2.8 I also have the
> ipvsadm that came with 0.2.8 and if I reboot to 0.2.11
> I automatically have the ipvsadm that came with it.
> I would like not to have to keep track of all of this
> manually.
>
> This at least is one place I can find out the ip_vs
> version.
>
> > > "IP Virtual Server version 0.2.8 (size=4096)"
>
> If I compile ipvsadm so that it comes out with the
> name ipvsadm-$IP_VS_VERSION, then I can match
> up ipvsadm and ip_vs

For what it is worth I agree with Joe. I like the idea of a simple wrapper
that looks for/at /proc/net/ip_vs and exec the appropriate version of
ipvsadm. I believe this will give us good flexibility to handle a sutuation
where ipvsadm is very sensitive to the version of LVS as happened when
fwmark support was added.

I'm not sure that this wrapper should be the default way that ipvsadm is
installed but it does make sense to support this for situations where more
than one kernel is on the system and the kernel in use is being changed
from boot to boot.

--
Horms
 horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx