Re: OT: ntpd loses syncronization

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OT: ntpd loses syncronization
Cc: pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 06:57:21 -0400
Paul Baker wrote:

> Perhaps this isn't off topic afterall, but I'm running ntpd on my
> directors.

I like keeping all machines synchronised and run the master ntpd on
the director and slaves on the real-servers. The configure-lvs.pl
script sets this up for you. This is particularly important if the
clients are writing to the real-servers (eg databases, mail)

 By directors I mean one is the primary and one is the slave
> waiting in the background for the primary to die so it can takeover.

how about having them as peers? When one director fails, the other
will continue ntpd'ing just fine without it.

> I have ntpd 4.0.98d (debian potato) installed and after a couple hours
> of it starting up, it reports to syslog:
>
> Apr 25 16:51:26 load3 ntpd[599]: time reset 0.176641 s
> Apr 25 16:51:26 load3 ntpd[599]: synchronisation lost

My home network stayed synchronised for about a year till a few months
ago when the ntpds started dying all over the place for no reason I know about.
I may have upgraded my ntpd :-(

I handle it by having a cronjob checking every minute for a running ntpd.
If there are none, it starts one up. My network stays synchronised just
fine now, but I haven't bothered to find the problem.

> Is this just an alert letting me know that the machine managed to drift
> rather far off and it has gone ahead and synced it. Or does that mean it
> has drifted so far off that it can no longer correct the problem and I'm
> screwed and need to restart ntpd manually or reboot or some other none
> automated event needs to take place. Or does it mean I have don't have
> enough servers (or too many) in my ntp.conf file?

ntpd should stay up no matter how far out of synch you are. The machines
won't converge unless they are quite close in time initially
(about 2mins I think). You only need one machine for an ntpd network.
There is no upper limit (beyond flooding the network with UDP packets).