RE: mail farm?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: mail farm?
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 20:53:28 +0800 (CST)
Hi Michael,

I know that grouping multiple SMTP servers by DNS MX records long time
ago. :-) Although it failover is built in SMTP protocol, MTA will try the
second mail server (or the other) when the first receiving mail server is
down or overloaded. I see that the shortcomings of this solution is
possible load imbalance among mail servers, just like Round-Robin DNS web
cluster (we just talk about load here). And, mail server failure probing
will increase internet traffic too.

You point out that LVS add an extra layer in load balancing SMTP traffic,
and the shortcoming is that LVS might fail, it is true if the LVS director
fails. As long as the LVS director will not become the bottleneck and not
fail, the central load balancing solution is better than multiple DNS MX
methods in resource utilization. Right?

Although most mail clusters are using mutilple MX method in this world
now, I think that it is worth trying a central load balancing SMTP
solution for better resource utilization.

For example, mx.domain.com is the load balancing SMTP service (receiving
side) by from mx1.domain.com to mx6.domain.com servers. If you worry about
that mx.domain.com (the lb director) might fail, you can put
mx?.domain.com in the DNS MX records too, but with low priority,
such as
        domain.com      IN      MX  1   mx.domain.com
                        IN      MX  10  mx1.domain.com
                        IN      MX  10  mx6.domain.com

If the mx.domain.com fails, mx1..mx6 will be tried, just in the original
way.

Regards,

Wensong