Re: testing iptables filter rules

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: testing iptables filter rules
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 11:41:29 -0400
Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> > you must be in culture shock.
>
> :) Yeah, but it's more a thermo shock. I had 90+ degrees in Florida
> and 70 in Switzerland. And I found out that Alligators don't like me.

what, are you too boney? not enough meat on you?

> there are not many setups with complex firewall settings and I mean really
> complex, like merging different advanced routing aspects with QoS and own
> Targets over different networks with all kind of non-TCP/UDP traffic and
> an maybe IPV6 connection

no wonder, there's no iptables -C.

> they simply forgot it and it seems that not a lot of people knew about this
> nice help before.

you can't "forget" these things. First time a rule doesn't work you'll remember
quickly.

> > I mean it's not even in the HOWTO :-)
>
> Holy cow, this has to be fixed soon :)

it's fixed now (whew)

> You must not zero a counter in the kernel!

OK, won't wait for a -Z then.

> feature. It would be ipvsadm -Z as an analogy to ip{chains|tables}. BTW,
> we are proud of haveing 64bit counters in the kernel :)

I'll make a big point of it in the HOWTO :-)

> Storing ... there are different approaches to this (complexity order):
>
> 1. Use a script that extracts the info and writes it flat to a file
> 2. Use mrtg or rrdtool since I reckon you wanted to use the stats to
>    generate some graphics anyway. These tools handle the problem for
>    you.

something like this. I thought mrtg used SNMP only. When I wanted to use
it, none of my stuff was SNMP'ed so I didn't use it.

> 3. Write a MIB for LVS stats, which is what I would love to see but am
>    currently unable to write.

Anyone want to write a MIB for LVS?