Re: ping checks along priority routing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ping checks along priority routing
Cc: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:09:01 -0400
Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Hi Joe,

> How do you set the priority? With ip route add ... prio ... ?

yes ($VIP on lo:0)

#packets from VIP go to router
ip rule add prio 100 from $VIP/32 table 100
ip route add table 100 0/0 via $ROUTER dev eth0
#all other packets, including from RIP go to director
route add default gw DIP

> > The reason I want to do this is to make sure that calls from clients
> > at the RIP (rather than the VIP) don't get sent out the router.
>
> ?? What calls

multiport services like rshd come up on RIP for the 2nd port
indentd client on real-server comes up on RIP

> Not sure but maybe hping can might help you.
> http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/hping3.html (development)
> http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/hping.html  (old hping2, but working)

OK have downloaded it. will have a look. Ah the file hping2.8 is the
man page ie {hping2}.8 - I thought it was hping_2.8 or something like
that. Yes this should help.

> How about:
>
> ip route get $IP?

yow, didn't know about "get". yes that works. It's like a -C with
iptables. I'd still like to send a packet and see where it goes rather
than getting an answer about where it is expected to go. Will look at hping2

Thanks