Re: LVS and NFS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, smiley@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS and NFS
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:53:18 -0400
Shain Miley wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to the list and I was wondering if someone could either provide
> a link or some details about the maturity of LVS

LVS is in great shape :-)

and the available
> 'shared disk' options.

it depends a little bit on how you're going to share the files
(which you haven't told us about). If the
NFS is just sharing files like is does anywhere else, then you'll
only have the usual troubles (which you allude to).

> I am planning on setting up an LVS IMAP cluster

do you understand the single writer, many reader properties of LVS?

One of the first things LVS was used for was for a mail server
(by Ted Pavlic). He had to do a lot of thinking to get all the
locking straight and unfortunately he never wrote it up for us.
So unfortunately what you're (probably) about to do isn't a canned
setup yet. It's also probably a little tricky and you're going
to have to test it with single mail events and then run something
hard against it to see if you loose test mails. Even loosing
1 mail in 1000 will annoy users (quite rightly), but will
require some accurate testing.

Can you describe more how you plan to do this (eg how the IMAP
servers get their mail), how the clients get the mail from the
IMAP servers, how the client send their mail out, where the LVS
fits in? We're very good with free advice :-)

I haven't setup an LVS mail server. How big a single machine is
needed to handle your 500-700 people?